In addition to a long list of requirements, applicants for a TLC driver’s license for yellow taxis in New York State are subject to several eligibility criteria. These criteria suggest that your application may be unsuccessful if you submit it under certain conditions:
1. You have 4 or more crashes on your record.
2. You were convicted of the crime of driving without a license.
3. Failed a drug test.
4. You have been charged with bribery, theft, fraud, threats, harassment or abuse.
5. You have been convicted of carrying weapons in a TLC vehicle.
6. You have a revoked license.
The application process must be done before the Taxi & Limousine Commission, once all requirements are collected, not with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as befits standard licenses. However, it will be necessary to present a valid license issued by the DMV in any of its classes to be eligible for this new license.
What are the requirements to apply for a TLC Yellow Taxis license in New York
According to the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission, the requirements to obtain a TLC license for yellow taxis are usually many and must be met in full:
1. Be at least 19 years of age
2. Have a valid license from the state of New York.
3. Do not have debts for infractions committed.
4. Have completed a defensive driving course within 3 years.
5. Train to drive vehicles with wheelchair accessibility.
6. Complete the 24-hour course and pass the exam
7. Not have more than 6 points on your license within a period of 15 months from the date of your application.
8. Be medically fit.
9. Pass a drug test.
10. Watch the Sex Trafficking Educational Training video.
11. Allow your fingerprints to be taken, which will be checked for criminal records.
12. Not have pending criminal charges that will not be resolved within 90 days of the submission of the application.
13. For limousine drivers only: Commercial driver license 19A.
It is important to note that the NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission requires that the application be made online, through the address https://www1.nyc.gov/lars/. There is no face-to-face modality for this procedure.