Mitsubishi is going to sell the long-awaited Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross PHEV 2021.
Ever since the Mitsubishi Group produced its first car more than a century ago (Model-A in August 1917), its work in the automotive field has demonstrated an ambitious and often tumultuous approach, developing new types of vehicles and paving the way with top technologies. .
This adventurous and progressive attitude continued after Mitsubishi Motors Corporation was officially established in 1970, and is best exemplified today by the representative product of the Corporation: Outlander PHEV:
– the world’s first plug-in hybrid electric twin-engine SUV offered by a mainstream manufacturer when it was announced in 2012
– still the only hybrid plug-in vehicle on an electric car architecture (unlike the generic electrified ICE technology found in the rest).
– the best-selling hybrid plug-in vehicle in the world, with 264,610 units sold cumulatively globally (MMC data – January 2013 to October 2020), Europe being the largest market thus, with 181,803 units sold cumulatively (MME data – October 2013 to October 2020).
The main components of the Eclipse Cross powertrain are the following:
– Front electric motor (82 ps)
– Rear electric motor (95 ps) – Front petrol engine
– Atkinson cycle – 2.4 liters (98 ps) – Lithium-ion traction battery (300V, 13.8 kWh, 80 cells) located under the floor in the enclosure – Own PHEV operating system MMC.
While driving, the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross PHEV 2021 is mainly driven by the two electric motors, complemented by the gasoline engine, able to intervene automatically when driving conditions and / or load status require it. EV-based architecture without gearbox ensures acceleration smooth for Eclipse CrossPHEV, without the shock of the gear change that occurs in competing ICE-based products equipped with gearbox.
Taking advantage of the inherent simplicity of electric vehicles (without gearbox, drive-by-wire…) and supported by an extremely sophisticated PHEV operating system developed internally, this new architecture brings remarkable benefits, both in terms of packaging (small trade-offs). ICE variant), weight reduction or efficiency.
On the road, the EV-based PHEV system from Mitsubishi Motors is fully automatic, unitary, hassle-free and fully reliable – The only thing the driver has to decide is either: o Select EV Mode wherever / whenever it is necessary to activate SAVE Mode
– the preferred solution to protect the battery charge while insufflating an electrically driven dose for lower fuel consumption and lower emissions and completing the charge by pressing the CHARGE Mode button to force charging when no power source is available.
This system will be crucial for the new regulations in some cities, where in some areas only zero-emission vehicles are allowed.
– all without the strange sensation given by the brake pedal, often experienced on cars equipped with a regenerative braking system.- Multiple charging options are available – as standard equipment: a normal charge: ± 4 hours
– AC 230V 16A or ± 6 hours – AC 230V 10Ao fast charge (CHAdeMO protocol / ± 25 min for 80% charge *) o CHARGE module (± 30 min for 80% charge *) o regenerative braking (5 gradual steps) o „ Automatic “lightning charge” when using SAVE Mode * 80% just to store regenerative braking energy for the remaining 20%