During the 2019 edition of the Milan EICMA Show, the Chinese electric scooter manufacturer NIU unveiled a whole new range of more powerful scooters under the “GT” banner. After more than a year of waiting, the new version of the M series is finally preparing to land in France.
The new Niu MQi GT takes here the modern and refined general design of the M series while offering readjusted lines. But it is especially under its dressing that it differs from its predecessors. The MQi GT is based on a more robust frame allowing the use of an elongated saddle which here allows duo driving.
On the technical side, we now find a Bosch electric motor of 3 kW in the rear wheel which allows it to develop a torque of 45 Nm at 655 rpm and above all to gain speed to reach up to 70 km / h at peak. Due to the regulations, the Niu MQi GT will be offered in two versions, a full power for A1 licenses and a restricted to 45 km / h and approved as a moped.
To power this engine, two removable lithium batteries of the fourth generation of 1.5 kWh (2 x 48 V – 31 Ah) each find place under the saddle (approximately 3 kWh in all). According to the manufacturer, these ensure a range of 70 to 80 km.
But Niu’s great strength also lay in its well-placed tariffs. The Niu MQi GT follows the family tradition since it is announced at 3,399 euros. However, the scooter benefits from a discount of € 400 until next January 30 for the reservation of a model. This price of 2,999 euros can drop a little more thanks to the ecological bonus offered at the national level, but also to the subsidies that can be granted locally, which places the electric scooter among the cheapest models on the market.
Technical characteristics Niu MQi GT 45 km / h / 70 km / h
- Motor: Bosch three-phase DC brushless electric motor
- Rated power: 3 kW at 430 rpm / 3.1 kW at 655 rpm
- Maximum torque: 67 Nm at 430 rpm / 45 Nm at 655 rpm
- Battery: 2 removable batteries, lithium-ion, 48 V 31 Ah, recharges in 6 hours
- Front suspension: telescopic fork
- Rear suspension: swing arm and two shocks
- Front brake: 220mm disc, CBS combined braking
- Rear brake: 180mm disc, CBS combined braking
- Front tire: 90 / 90-14
- Rear tire: 110 / 80-14
- Length: 1,949 mm
- Width: 700 mm
- Height: 1.171 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,389 mm
- Seat height: 816 mm
- Ground clearance: 165 mm
- Empty weight: 92 kg
- Operating weight: 112 kg
- Maximum admissible weight: 269 kg
- Max speed: 45 km / h / 70 km / h
- Range: 74 km
Availability / Prices
- Colors: Red, white, gray, black
- Price: € 3,399 excluding bonus (€ 400 discount until 01/30)
More info about Niu MQi GT
- Site: www.niu.com